RS-100 is a ceramic fiber reinforced structural alumina composite material with useful properties to 1260ºC (2300ºF). It has exceptional flexural and compressive strengths in the range of high temperature reinforced plastics such as G-7 and G-10 laminates and retains strength and utility to levels far exceeding maximum use temperatures of plastics. Mechanical properties of Type RS-100 sheet far exceed those of Transite and other asbestos-cement materials and is an excellent replacement for these rigid asbestos-containing products. RS-100 can also bcell namemployed at much higher temperatures than these types of products.RS-100 is 100% inorganic, non-flammable and contains no asbestos. Its high Al2O3 content makes it highly resistant to many environments, including molten aluminum. It undergoes little or no outgassing on heating. It is not brittle and has high impact properties. RS-100 may be cut and machined with standard tooling. RS-100 sheet is used both as a full-size panel and as a source for precision-cut fabricated components. RS-100 is also available in cylinder form by request.
|Density ( g/cm³ )||2.1|
|Density ( lb/ft³ )||130|
|Porosity ( % )||35|
|Color||White to Tan|
|Maximum Use Temperature ( ºC )||1260|
|Maximum Use Temperature ( ºF )||2300|
|Dielectric Strength ( V/mil )||71|
|Volume Resistivity ( ohm-cm )||7.2 x 1011|
|Arc Resistance ( sec )||>420|
|Typical Composition ( % )||Al2O3 - 75|
Organic Content - 0
Other Metal Oxides - 9
SiO2 - 16
|Surface Resistivity ( ohm )||2.3 x 1011|
|Melting Point ( ºC )||1500|
|Melting Point ( ºF )||2732|
|Hardness, Durometer D||90|
|Thermal Conductivity at 200ºC (392ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.4|
|Thermal Conductivity at 200ºC (392ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.634|
|Thermal Conductivity at 400ºC (752ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.41|
|Thermal Conductivity at 400ºC (752ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.636|
|Thermal Conductivity at 600ºC (1112ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.42|
|Thermal Conductivity at 600ºC (1112ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.638|
|Thermal Conductivity at 800ºC (1472ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.44|
|Thermal Conductivity at 800ºC (1472ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.638|
|Thermal Conductivity at 1000ºC (1832ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.46|
|Thermal Conductivity at 1000ºC (1832ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.643|
|Modulus of Rupture, as Received ( MPa )||55|
|Modulus of Rupture, as Received ( psi )||8000|
|Modulus of Rupture, After 4 hrs. at 600ºC (1112ºF) ( MPa )||36|
|Modulus of Rupture, After 4 hrs. at 600ºC (1112ºF) ( psi )||5200|
|Compressive Strength at 2% Compression ( MPa )||69|
|Compressive Strength at 2% Compression ( psi )||10000|
|Specific Heat at 600ºC (1100ºF) ( J/kgºK )||1172|
|Specific Heat at 600ºC (1100ºF) ( BTU/lb/ºF )||0.28|
|Thermal Expansion, RT - 400ºC (752ºF)||3.3 x 10-8/F|
6.0 x 10-5/C
|Linear Shrinkage at 4 hrs. at 1200ºC (2200ºF) ( % )||1 to 2|
|Moisture Content at 105ºC (220ºF) ( % )||0 to 2|
|Loss on Ignition at 982ºC (1800ºF) ( % )||1 to 2|
|Breakdown Voltage (1/8" Thick Piece) ( kV )||7.3|
|Thermal Conductivity at 1200ºC (2192ºF) ( BTU-in/hr-ft²-ºF )||4.5|
|Thermal Conductivity at 1200ºC (2192ºF) ( W/m-ºK )||0.648|
- Asbestos-cement board replacement.
- Specialty furnace components such as bottom supports for quartz furnaces, furnace shells with element feed throughs and low temperature kiln and oven walls.
- Induction furnace components such as channel melter components, coil liners, coreless induction components, covers, tops, bases, front and back plates, coil supports, splash and coil shields.
- Non-ferrous metal handling as spouts, troughs, and casting tips
- Electrical terminal blocks and electrical resistor grids, due to its good electrical resistivity, good mechanical strength and its ability to withstand temperatures to 1260ºC (2300ºF).
- Electrical insulators for induction pressing of diamond saw segments.
- Brazing separators and fixtures. The high Al2O3 content makes it resistant to sticking in many environments including molten metals.
- Used in the glass industry as dead plates, set out plates, wear guides and pusher pads in hot glass handling